As we enter the new year there is a lot of talk/goals/resolutions around healthy eating, detoxing, eating ‘clean’ and getting back on the wagon.
I am not a resolution maker, I do not like short-term detoxes and I do not believe you are on or off a wagon. I think every day is a new day. Every day we can make choices about how to fuel or not fuel or bodies and guilt belongs nowhere near our dinner tables. Amen?
Sometimes making a choice that you will feel good about just needs to be the easy choice. Quick. Healthy. Seasonal. Simple. This recipe will surely jazz up your winter with each sweet + flavour bursting bite.
Serves [1-2 mains] or [3–4 sides] / Prep time: 10 minutes
1 bunch watercress
1 large or 2 small apples
1 cup pomegranate seeds
handful of hazelnuts, or nut of your choice
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup high-quality olive or walnut oil
1-2 tablespoons maple syrup or sweetener of your choice
- Cut apple into quarters and core. Slice thinly into bite-sized pieces
- Trim and compost the thick stems from the watercress, carefully wash leaves and thinner upper stems well in cold water, then gently pat or spin dry.
- Mix together oil, vinegar, mustard and sweetener in a small jar, and shake to mix.
- Divide greens onto 3 or 4 plates, and top with equal amounts of sliced apple.
- Drizzle with enough dressing to lightly coat (or more if desired), and sprinkle with pomegranate and seeds.
What are some of your favourite healthy winter fruits or salad go-tos? Happy new year and have a delicious week!