Traveling. Dinner parties. Weddings. Goodbye drinks. Summer treats.
It is this time of year and just after Christmas that I tend to feel a bit haggard + like I am going through life in sand. Things like so-so sleep and a bit of overindulging… it happens. But I know I can feel better.
We try and ‘detox’ a couple times a year. I have looong been suspicious of the stereotypical juice-based detoxes, lemonade-chili powder ‘Beyonce detoxes’ and spending a ton of money on supplements and such. Instead, I would rather eat nutritionally dense foods that are kind and cleansing for my liver and body.
I have been reading up on toxins. So crazy that every day we are exposed to so many things in our food and environment that accumulate in our bodies. Detoxing can be such a powerful tool to restore our glow + toward feeling more revitalized.
The result of my nerding out on detoxifying foods is this super antioxidant salad. It is loaded with texture, good-for-your-tummy-ingredients, and bursting with fresh summer flavors! I like to think that this Chicory, Grapefruit + Avocado Salad is the ultimate detox meal. I find that simply eating a big salad containing detoxifying ingredients a few times a week makes me feel more clear, focused and energetic.
This salad can be thrown together in minutes and is a great meal to eat when you want to lighten things up. There are no isolated oils, only the fat from the seeds and the avocado, which make it much easier to digest and less processed. This bright salad features sweet-tart grapefruit (hello cellulite fighter and blood sugar stabiliser) and slightly bitter chicory (hello immune booster and liver detoxifier)! It will makes a refreshing addition to your summer dinner repertoire.
2 mains : 4 sides
- 1 large ruby red grapefruit, peeled and segmented
- 2 head chicory, pull off leaves
- 1 medium beetroot, washed and cut julienne
- 1 large avocado, peeled and sliced
- 4-5 cups mixed salad mix, go for darker leaves
- 4 tbs pumpkin seeds, ideally sprouted
- balsamic vinegar, to drizzle
- Using a serrated knife, half your grapefruit. Slice along membranes + peel away segments (do this over a bowl to catch extra juices)
- Place chicory/endive and mixed leaves in a serving bowl
- Add sliced avocado and beetroot to salad + sprinkle pumpkin seeds
- Drizzle balsamic and leftover grapefruit juice as dressing over salad
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, toss to combine
- Share and enjoy with your people!
- For a nice, hearty addition, add quinoa or brown rice if you have it on hand
- For more detoxifiers, try fresh cilantro and parsley. They are both heavy metal detoxifiers which aid in removing heavy metals from our bodies
Here is to a wonderful, healthy you and to feeling our best. I hope you enjoy this recipe and that you have a delicious end to your week!