Blueberries and summer – they just go together.
This time of year we all seem a bit more interested in fresh salads and light meals. This recipe is one I tried last summer from The Minimalist Baker (before going AIP) but I absolutely loved it and think it is worth passing along! This salad is perfect for summer and will give you an excuse to pick up some fresh blueberries at a farmer’s market near you. This salad is in season, full of flavour and packed with superfoods!
The dressing really brings all the flavours alive and dancing on your tastebuds: olive oil, balsamic vinegar, a little sweetener and a good amount of pureed blueberries! It is a perfect vegetarian option, packed with plant-strong goodness. It is sweet yet subtle. It is quick but well constructed. A perfect option for a summery, crunchy lunch or dinner!
Serves: 2 entries / 4 sides
- 1 cup (185 g) ready-to-go quinoa
- 8 ounces (200 g) mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup (70 g) unsalted nuts*
- 1/2 cup (80 g ) blueberries
- 1 large hass avocado, pitted, halved + diced
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) maple syrup (honey or date syrup)
- 1-2 Tbsp (15-30 ml) olive oil
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup (approx 50 g) blueberries
- Prepare quinoa (easy guide here) or use ready-to-go version.
- In a food processor or small blender, add balsamic vinegar, olive oil, blueberries, maple syrup, and a pinch each salt and pepper. Blend until pureed, scraping down sides as needed. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- On a plate, or low large bowl, arrange mixed greens and top with cooked quinoa blueberries, nuts and avocado. Serve with dressing. It’s that easy!
- If you are following the AIP lifestyle, toasted coconut chips make a great substitution for the grain and nuts.
- I used pre-cooked quinoa for convenience, by all the means cook your own, read here for easy instructions.
- I have used hazelnuts and sliced almonds in the recipe but my favourite is pistachio and pecan mix. Use your favourite!
- A crumbled goat cheese or feta would be a nice addition if you tolerate dairy
What are you favourite recipes that use seasonal fruits or ingredients? I hope you have a delicious weekend!