We all need a reason to get up on a wintry morning.
This hearty, subtly sweet, nutty granola is your answer. Scented with coconut and cinnamon and bursting with crunchy almonds, pecans and seeds. Perfect for snacking, storing, atop a smoothie bowl (I chose pumpkin, I think that’s obvious) or on its own with a bit of milk.
Adapted from The Minimalist Baker: Nut + Honey Coconut Granola
- 3 cups GF rolled oats
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup pecans
- raw pumpkin seeds to top
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tbsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup honey or agave nectar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut *
- 1/2 cup dried fruit *
- Preheat oven to 340 F or 170 C
- Mix the oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and nuts together in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan over medium low heat, warm the coconut oil, honey/agave and vanilla extract and pour over the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spread the mixture evenly onto a baking sheet(s) and bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring a bit near the halfway point. The coconut oil will help this granola crisp up nicely but be sure to watch it carefully as it browns quickly.
- If you are going to add the shredded coconut*, be sure to add in the last minutes as it will burn easily.
- Once the granola is visibly browned remove from the baking sheet and into a bowl to let it cool.
– Place in a container that has an air-tight seal and it should keep for a few weeks.
– This granola is very customizable. Feel free to omit or add any addition spices, oil or nut components.
– Some dried fruit* like raisins or apples would be nice. Be sure to add in the last few minutes of cooking, so they stay soft.
– Serve over a smoothie bowl, greek yogurt, as cereal with your favorite milk or take it on the go as a nutritious and delicious snack on the go.